Only hairstyles gallery
Keywords: short-hairstyles, short hairstyles, short hair styles, short haircuts, styles, fashion, photos, videos, ideas for short hairstyles
Description: Short-Hairstyles.com brings you 1000s of short styles, photos, videos and ideas for women in 2016. Check our Makeover tool - see what looks good on you!
Get ideas and inspiration for your foray into the world of short hair. A vast number of images to consider. As many designs as you could possibly imagine and more. Pick your favorite and take it to show your stylist.
Our free makeover utility gives you the opportunity to see what a style would look like on you before you jump. Upload your photo and try on 1000's of styles and colors then you have an image of exactly what you want the finished article to look like.
See what some our other visitors look like after they've taken the plunge. Rate out of 10 the results of a photo that has been uploaded by a visitor or salon or upload one of your own to put it out there and see what everyone else thinks of it.
A selection of guides and video tutorials handpicked to help you choose and style shorter tresses. Let professionals talk you through some tips, tricks and trade secrets. Some dramatic transformations and video galleries.
The modern woman often leads an on-the-go lifestyle, with over-filled schedules including work, school, travel, and time with friends and family. This fast-paced living has resulted in the desire for more practical hairstyles that are still just as attractive but require less daily maintenance, and many women have discovered that shorter is better when it comes to their haircuts. Whether you prefer pixie cuts or bobs, luscious curls or smooth and straight tresses, bright colors or subtle highlights, simple bangs or textured spikes, there are many options to consider when deciding on the best short hairstyle for you. With so many variations of short hairstyles, however, how is one to know which style to choose? A few factors to consider when choosing a shorter hairstyle include length desired, face shape, and time required for daily styling. It is surprising for some women to discover the wide range of lengths that may be considered as short hairstyles. For example, some women may opt for a complete shave-down, while others may prefer a longer bob, and others still would rather stick with a style that is somewhere in between.
What haircut to choose next is a perennial cycle of decisions for many women. Historically women were expected to have long hair and to go shorter could mean a rebellious nature. In recent decades a shorter look has become perfectly acceptable. Below are some common short hairstyles for women:
- The pixie With this hairstyle, the hair is cropped into fairly short with tousled layers. Pioneered by Twiggy, Mia Farrow and Vidal Sassoon models in the 1960s its as relevant now as ever. Nowadays many celebrities sport many versions of the pixie such as Victoria Beckham, Michelle Williams, Emma Watson, Anne Hathaway and Pink, making the pixie cut and its variants one of the most sought after haircuts all over the world for so many years.
- The bob This cut involves cutting the hair straight across (commonly around the jaw-line) and may include bangs too. Medium length hair underwent major transformation when the bob came around. The good thing about the bob is it can also be curled into soft waves ala flapper girls and socialite Zelda Fitzgerald in the roaring '20s and Jackie O's bob.
- The bowl cut thanks to the mop top of The Beatles, women answered with their versions that have straight bangs/fringe. The bowl cut has undergone many versions in recent years with asymmetrical ends and feathered tips.
- Voluminous curls who can forget the Marilyn Monroe and Madonna hairdo? It might have been several decades since they started the trend but short voluminous curls are still very much alive especially at formal events.
- The shaved crop not everyone can pull off a shaved crop like Demi Moore or Natalie Portman so women who can are extra eye-catching. Women who prefer it short have varied reasons, some want a radical change; some want a lighter feeling or freedom from the weight of long tresses, others simply got tired of the time, effort and money that go into maintaining long locks. Whatever your reasons are for wanting a shorter 'do, it is important to take into consideration the shape of your face, your lifestyle and personality too. Short hairstyles bring a gush of fresh air to the typical long tresses that need a lot of maintenance and time. If you don't want to keep tucking your hair at the back of your ear every 5 minutes and don't want to spend hours trying to tame the strands then a close cut hair style is a must. Here is a gallery of all the short haircuts imaginable and many that can be achieved in less than 5 minutes and are great for every occasion.
- Bangs or a Fringe Who said fringes are only for long hair. If you have a slightly longer bob, then you can wear sexy bangs to makeover your look. Aligned bangs that fall just over the eyebrows look great with straight hair. However, if you have wavy hair, then you can choose side-swept bangs to change the way you look and feel, they are the most endearing style of this season.
- Spikes An exclusive hairstyle for cropped hair, a few spikes can make you look like a punk or a rocker. Not only this, when teamed up with softer and girlish accessories, they can even give you a very feminine but bold look. Heart shaped and longer faces can carry this look off very nicely. If you want to say 'look at me, I have arrived' without uttering a single word, spikes are what you need. They are instant attention gatherers.
- Crops and Chops - Are becoming the most popular close cut styles this season. If you want to look a little messy and make a statement at the same time, you must get your hair cropped at the back and chopped at the side. These uneven asymmetrical cuts make you look like you came straight out of bed whether you have or not. They also add volume and if your hair is already thick, you don't really need to do much. However, if your hair is thinner, then you must use some protein mousse and a hard styling gel to pull of this look. Make sure it looks good or you can really appear like you didn't care about touching your hair after you got up.
- Curves or curls - Most hairstyles are compatible with inward or outward curves at the end of the strand. It all depends on what look you want to sport. If you want to frame your face, then inward curls are better and if you want to make it appear rebellious and messy, then outward curls would be your choice.
When deciding which length you would like your hair to be, the shape of your face can be a major determining factor. In general, for example, rounder face shapes tend to be more flattered by longer locks, but this does not imply that a woman with a round face can never have a short hairstyle. It simply means that a woman with a rounder face may need to consider a hairstyle more similar to a longer (but still short) bob, rather than a buzz cut. If you are unsure of your face shape, or if you are nervous about how a new hairstyle might look on you, there are many resources you can utilize to help you decide. Our Makeover Utility (see link above) allows you to upload your photograph and try on thousands of hairstyles to see which one is right for you. Additionally, your hair stylist would be a great adviser on which cuts would look best on you. Once you have narrowed your search down to the hairstyles that will accentuate your unique facial features and face shape, the next point to consider is your lifestyle. Are you fine with spending thirty or forty minutes styling your hair every morning, or would you rather simply wake up, run a brush through your 'do and be on your way? Before making a final decision on your new, short hairstyle, always discuss with your hairdresser the requirements for basic maintenance of your cut. Will you need to regularly use heat styling, such as flat irons, curling wands, or specialized hair drying attachments? Are there certain hair products you will need to keep on hand, such as mousse or gel? How often will you need to return to the salon for a trim? These are all important questions to consider before deciding upon your hairstyle. Once you have chosen the haircut that is the perfect style for you, all that is left to do is take your request to your beautician, and rock your new look!