Keywords: wlv msdnaa
Description: If you are using the Eclipse Workbench, you can create an executable JAR file for a Java project from within Eclipse as follows: Select the menu options File > Export > Java > JAR
If you are using the Eclipse Workbench, you can create an executable JAR file for a Java project from within Eclipse as follows:
- Select the menu options File > Export > Java > JAR file
- Click the Next button.
- Check the project to export
- Check Export generated class files and resources
- Browse to the destination folder where you want the jar file to be saved, and enter name for jar file
- Click Next > Next (to JAR Manifest Spec)
- Select Generate the manifest file
- Enter (or browse to) the name of the main class.
- Click the Finish button.
Windows and Linux o/s’s include a FTP client program. You can run the program by typing ftp in a command prompt window.
This is a small number of the commands available on the Windows FTP client (there are many more than this):
C:\>ftp ftp> open ftp.scit.wlv.ac.uk Connected to clun.scit.wlv.ac.uk. 220 clun FTP server (Version 5.60) ready. User (clun.scit.wlv.ac.uk:(none)): anonymous 331 Guest login ok, send ident as password. Password: anything 230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply. ftp> dir 200 PORT command successful. 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls. total 14 lrwxrwxrwx 1 other 7 Mar 7 2001 bin -> usr/bin dr-xr-xr-x 2 other 512 Mar 7 2001 dev dr-xr-xr-x 2 other 512 Mar 7 2001 etc drwxr-xr-x 22 root 1536 Sep 17 04:30 httpd drwxr-xr-x 11 root 512 Mar 9 2005 pub dr-xr-xr-x 6 other 512 Mar 7 2001 usr 226 Transfer complete. ftp: 323 bytes received in 0.01Seconds 21.53Kbytes/sec. ftp> cd pub 250 CWD command successful. ftp> dir 200 PORT command successful. 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls. total 228 drwxr-xr-x 7 acad 512 Sep 8 2003 cm1914 drwxr-xr-x 2 143 512 Mar 30 2001 comparch drwxr-xr-x 4 acad 512 May 6 2004 cprog -rw-r--r-- 1 other 95358 Mar 30 2001 files drwxr-xr-x 2 acad 512 May 6 2004 geog drwx------ 2 acad 512 Oct 29 2001 hamradio drwxr-xr-x 33 acad 1024 Dec 5 2002 htmlrfcs drwxr-xr-x 5 other 512 Mar 30 2001 infomagic drwxr--r-- 2 other 8192 Feb 6 2001 lost+found drwxrwxr-x 5 143 4608 Jun 22 11:44 msdnaa 226 Transfer complete. ftp: 550 bytes received in 0.05Seconds 11.70Kbytes/sec. ftp> get files 200 PORT command successful. 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for files (95358 bytes). 226 Transfer complete. ftp: 97866 bytes received in 0.80Seconds 122.79Kbytes/sec. ftp> quit 221 Goodbye. C:>
Most web browsers, including FireFox and IE, can handle the FTP protocol. This allows the user to query an FTP archive and download text files without knowing any FTP commands, simply by using the browser’s GUI interface.
As an example, suppose you wish to download a file called hw.c from the SCIT ftp server. This is how to do it:
- Enter the URL ftp://ftp.scit.wlv.ac.uk
- Navigate to the folder /pub/cprog/examples/chap1
- You should see the file hw.c listed. Click on this file and it displays in the browser.
- Use File > SaveAs to save as a text file.
- Open the file with a text editor to check it has downloaded correctly.