Lucille ball tv
Keywords: carol burnett,carol burnett sag awards,carol burnett lifetime achievement,carol burnett lucille ball,celebrity news
Description: Carol Burnett, iconic comedienne, was the recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Award over the weekend and she shared memories of her friend, Lucille Ball.
Carol Burnett, iconic comedienne, was the recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 22nd annual Screen Actor’s Guild (SAG) awards over the weekend, and people are talking about it. The icon initially got people talking by wearing ray Ugg slippers with her emerald green blazer and suit ensemble, though she later changed into more formal shoes to accept her award.
Carol Burnett’s career as a comedic actress has spanned decades and her role on the Carol Burnett show lasted an impressive 11 seasons. Many A-list comedians, including Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, credit Burnett as being one of their comedic icons. So it only seems fitting that the duo presented the 2016 Lifetime Achievement Award to Burnett, and they led with a hilarious speech.
“She has deserved every award because comedy is much harder than drama. Comedic actors have to do all of the same things dramatic actors do, but faster — and often with a chimp,” Poehler continued, “We watched Carol with our moms and our moms taught us 90 percent of what we needed to be the women we are today. And the other 10 percent is Carol.”
According to Deadline. Burnett was visibly grateful and overwhelmed with joy at receiving the SAG Lifetime Achievement Award, despite already having a trophy case full of other industry awards, including several Emmys and Golden Globe awards.
The comedic icon opened up about her career when she accepted her award by saying, “When I got my variety show, one of the major things I wanted to do, and I loved doing, was our take off of movies. This time we had costumes designed by the brilliant Bob Mackie, a full orchestra… in essence we mounted a musical comedy revue every week, and oh god we had fun….The brilliant Harvey Korman, Vickie Lawrence, Lyle Waggoner, and Tim Conway. Their comedic chops made it all work, and I was able to do what I did because of what they brought to the table. Not only their talent, but their love…”
Burnett ended her acceptance speech by saying, “I’m so glad we had this time together.”
Prior to receiving her Lifetime Achievement Award on Friday, Burnett spoke to The Hollywood Reporter and gave her input on today’s TV comedy. The 82-year-old funny woman said she is simply bored with today’s comedy and that it really doesn’t need to be so edgy. She explained that, although she has respect and admiration for today’s female comedians such as Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, she believes that the “good ol’ days” of female comedy is probably long gone.
“Edgy is fine — I’m not a prude by any stretch of the imagination — but what’s wrong with a good ol’ belly laugh? I miss that. A lot of comedy today is so fast — it’s like: ‘Boom! Boom! Boom!’ — because they think people can’t pay enough attention,” Burnett said.
According to People Magazine, Burnett was also heard speaking about her pal Lucille Ball while backstage at the SAG Awards. She said she and Ball met backstage after one of Burnett’s off-Broadway shows, and they became close friends.
The pair eventually became such good friends that Lucille Ball eventually ended up throwing Burnett a baby shower. Burnett laughed as she reminisced about the black tie baby shower that men also attended. She said they remained close friends until Lucille Ball died, which happened to be on Burnett’s birthday.
If this weekend at the SAG Awards has proven anything, it’s that true class and wit never ages and a true icon can continue to steal headlines decades after they’re out of the limelight. Congratulations to Carol Burnett on her SAG Lifetime Achievement Award.